Microsoft drops lawsuit against Vitalwerks after service cuts

Microsoft drops lawsuit against Vitalwerks after service cuts

BOSTON -Microsoft Corp has dropped a lawsuit against Vitalwerks Internet Solutions that alleged the privately held Web services firm failed to take proper steps to prevent its systems from being abused by cybercriminals.

The two companies said on Wednesday they had settled the lawsuit,which was announced by Microsoft on June 30 as it launched an operation to wrest control over infected PCs from cybercriminals. The software maker claimed the criminals were using Vitalwerks servers for communications.

Microsoft’s operation targeted malicious software known as Bladabindi and Jenxcus, which is believed have infected millions of Windows PCs around the globe.

Microsoft obtained an order from a federal judge in Nevada to launch the operation, telling the court it would be able to siphon off criminal traffic without impacting legitimate users of a service run by Vitalwerks, known as No-IP.com.

Microsoft’s Digital Crimes Unit told the court it did not directly seek help from Vitalwerks because the company had not cooperated with similar requests from other firms to stop malicious traffic.

Vitalwerks said on Wednesday that the operation disrupted service to some 1.8 million legitimate customers for several days, and that the interruption could have been prevented had Microsoft asked the company for help.

“When we notice activity, we act on it,” said Vitalwerks Vice President Dylan Zigenis. “When we are approached by outside parties, we look at the evidence and we take action when appropriate.”

Microsoft confirmed that service had been disrupted to an unspecified number of Vitalwerks customers, but said in a statement Wednesday that it was because of “a technical error.”

“Microsoft regrets any inconvenience these customers may have experienced,” the statement said.

Vitalwerks said the outage, along with allegations by Microsoft that the company was not cooperative in fighting cybercrime, had hurt its reputation, causing some customers to closed their accounts seek refunds.

“We are battling to get our reputation back,” Zigenis said.

A representative for Microsoft said the company had no immediate response.

Microsoft’s lawsuit also named nationals in Kuwait and Algeria, who the company said were the developers of pieces of malware. Microsoft has not dropped those claims. (Reuters)

Related Story:  Normalcy gradually returns in Lagos filling stations
MTN News Alert
DMON
To receive our mobile newspaper on MTN delivered on your phone, text SAWD to 4900 at N50 per week or SAMD to 4900 at N150 per month.
For information on press releases, photos, promotional events and adverts, call or send text to 08173460599 or 08094208271or send email to: info@sundiatapost.com

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Sundiata Post Media Ltd.

Address: 3rd Floor Office Suite, Bayelsa State Guest House, Plot 1038, Shehu Shagari Way, Maitama, Abuja, Nigeria.
Tel: +234(0)92900705, +234(0)8173460599
Whatsapp: +234(0)8053069436
BBM PIN: 5619150D
Email: info@sundiatapost.com
Website: www.sundiatapost.com

Enugu Regional Office: SW 1 New Haven Shopping Mall, Enugu, Enugu State, Nigeria.
Tel: +234(0)7062582838
https://twitter.com/sundiatapost/

London Office: 18 Belgrave Avenue, Wd18 7UE, Watford, United Kingdom.
Tel: +447417554143
Dubai Office: PAU Management Suite, Level 23 - Boulevard Plaza Tower 2, Emaar Boulevard,
P. O. Box 124342, Dubai, UAE.
Tel: +971 4 4096849 | Fax: +971 4 409 6850
About Us

SundiataPost is published by Sundiata Post Media Limited, Sundiata Post is Nigeria’s most authoritative online newspaper and ranks among the top five online news platforms in Nigeria.

Guild of Corporate online publishers
ACCREDITED MEMBER
A Glance at Our Advert Rate.

Inside Pages

Size In Pixels - Amount

120×180 - N27,967.50

300×100 - N24,695

Text Link - N11,275

More Details info

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advert Rate