Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Technical Advisor/Head of Education
- As a member of the extended senior management team (ESMT), the post holder will lead on quality design, delivery, and representation of Save the Children’s Education programming in Nigeria.
- S/he will provide strategic leadership and assume the overall responsibility for the growth, development and quality implementation of the education portfolio in Nigeria. S/He must bring a senior leadership profile with a proven track record in education and a sound technical background in programme design and delivery. The incumbent must also have experience managing complex programming delivery in fragile contexts.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Director of Program Development and Quality
- Nigeria is one of the most challenging and dynamic working environments that Save the Children currently works in. The country has the highest number of out of school children in the world, 13 million and is also facing a humanitarian crisis in the North-eastern states.
- The outbreak of conflict in the North East of Nigeria has seen a huge displacement of the population and the need for more targeted education in emergencies interventions.
- This is a challenging role in a complex environment. It requires a dedicated, experienced and highly motivated individual who can manage the demands of both the development and humanitarian sectors and still be fundamental in helping to drive forward our programmes and our ambitions. Joining Save the Children here now is thus an immensely exciting opportunity.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Lead the development and implementation of Save the Children in Nigeria’s Education strategy, consistent with organizational goals, the Country Strategic Plan and resource availability. Ensure that programme remains relevant to the external environment and needs of children.
- Lead and design Country Annual Planning for the Education sector.
- Ensure quality programme implementation across education programming areas – both humanitarian and development initiatives in education. To be responsible for the overall technical aspect of Save the Children education programme work in Nigeria.
- Serve as the point of contact for all matters related to education, particularly the scaling up or down of the Save the Children education programmes, emergency response capacity, cluster representation, policy development and capacity building.
- Work at the policy level with high-level decision makers from the host government, participating in strategy development, policy making, and technical discussions, as well as negotiating to determine priorities for development.
- Be fully aware of national policies, strategies and other initiatives and developments by government and other stakeholders relating to the education, and related Child Protection, Health, Nutrition, Livelihoods and Child Survival issues. Regularly assess and communicate the implications for Save the Children’s programme and priorities of any changes in the operating environment relevant to this theme in close collaboration with the relevant advisor(s). Advocate for policy reforms that will promote the effective implementation of Save the Children’s education strategy.
- Promote the sharing of best practice and learning in relation to programming, advocacy and campaign activities amongst Area Programmes in the country, including among Save the Children International in the region.
- Ensure that the core principles and policies of Save the Children International regarding child rights, child protection, and children’s participation are practised in the education work.
- Fulfil the SCI and Education Global Initiative mandate including SCI requirements in reporting.
- Share technical expertise and support capacity building with the education team in the field
Monitoring and evaluation:
- Ensure adequate ongoing monitoring and evaluation of all education programs.
- Review relevant monitoring reports to donors to ensure that technical aspects are well articulated and reports are of acceptable quality before submission. Provide support where necessary to improve report writing skills.
- Ensure that the Global Impact Monitoring system is applied to and integrated within the education sector.
- Ensure all SC member M&E requirements are monitored and reported on as well as SCI global education indicators
- Where external consultants are required to technically support or monitor and evaluate projects, lead the recruitment and subsequent management of contracted consultants as per the recruitment guidelines.
- Ensure the development of an M&E framework that helps each project improve quality of reporting, clearly articulate progress and impact of projects, identify issues for advocacy and new programmes/projects in the future.
- Act as Education Technical Lead for any education emergency response in Nigeria. Lead emergency education assessments as necessary, education preparedness and response plans with exit strategies.
Capacity building / technical support:
- Provide technical support towards capacity building for education officials at the federal, state, LGEA, schools, partners, communities, and other related government agencies/parastatals as required.
Coordination and Programme Development:
- Represent Save the Children at national, regional and international level Education cluster meetings, technical working group meetings, Ministry of Education meetings, and other relevant forums.
- Meet regularly and liaise closely with relevant authorities (i.e. Federal/State Ministry of Education, Universal Basic Education Commission and SUBEBs/ UN / other NGOs / Education (Cluster) Working Group
- Work in close partnership with other thematic advisors such as Child Protection, Nutrition, Health, WASH and Livelihoods regarding integrated programming and Cross-Thematic quality team.
- In consultation with children, communities, local government authorities, non-state actors, and relevant national technical departments, supervise the design of new Education (or proposals with educational components) proposals. This responsibility also includes ensuring links across the whole programme
- Design programmes in line with calls for proposals from donors in Nigeria
- Keep abreast of international developments and debates regarding education, in order to advise and assist Save the Children to effectively respond to developments and participate in debates.
- Help to identify high value and high potential fundraising and mobilization opportunities for education programs working in close collaboration with relevant management staff, fundraising and Policy teams to ensure that new funding proposals are in accordance with country and global strategies and policies.
- Analyzing donor priorities and positions on issues related to education; identifying institutional funding opportunities and developing and maintaining contacts with potential donors, partners and key technical agencies
Qualifications and Experience
- An education professional with a Master’s Degree in education or equivalent.
- Significant (at least 10 years) professional experience of working at a senior advisory level in education for international NGOs in complex settings. Specific experience in education in emergencies (EiE) is highly valued.
- Strong commitment to capacity building of national staff and partners with willingness to adopt participatory and consultative approaches.
- Substantial progressive, professional-level experience at the management level with background in early childhood education and primary education
- Ability to make links between education, livelihoods, educations and health interventions within the context of an integrated program approach
- An ability to effectively negotiate with prospective donors and a demonstrated ability to develop and write detailed technical project proposals meeting donor requirements, including budgets for the same. Strong report writing skills,
- Ability to perform at a senior policy level must be demonstrable, and good communication, advocacy and leadership skills are critical.
- The ability to liaise and effectively coordinate with government, local NGOs and community initiatives. Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels, taking into account cultural and language difficulties.
- A desire to learn the Nigerian political, social and cultural characteristics is expected. Have a broad appreciation for the issues and process of participatory development.
- Proven experience of living and working in insecure environments, able to follow security guidelines. The ability to research and utilise existing local government and other technical expertise where applicable.
Application Closing Date
14th March, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
For information on press releases, photos, promotional events and adverts, call or send text to 08173460599 or 08094208271or send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org