Court To Hear Melaye’s Recall Case Aug. 7

By Mabel Yakubu

Abuja  –   The Federal High Court Abuja, on Thursday fixed August 7, to hear the suit that stopped the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, from going ahead with the process of Sen. Dino Melaye’s recall.

The suit which was originally adjourned till September 29, will now be heard on August 7.

Justice Nnamdi Dimgba said he was minded to exercise his discretion to hear the matter within the court’s vacation period.

INEC had through its lawyer, Mr Sulayman Ibrahim, requested accelerated hearing of the suit during vacation.

The Commission said it was constrained under section 69 of the 1999 constitution, as amended, to conclude the recall process within 90 days.

It earlier asked the court to vacate the interim order that stopped it from going ahead with the recall process.

Related Story:  NPC begins 4th phase of enumeration area demarcation in Bayelsa

INEC is challenging the legality of the restraining order that Justice John Tsoho of the high court issued against it on July 6.

Justice Tsoho had ordered all the parties involved in the recall process to maintain the status quo until September 29 when the case was previously adjourned to.

Earlier when the matter was called, two sets of applicants, applied to be joined as interested parties in the matter.

Michael Olowolayemi, through his lawyer, Mr Ponsak Biyan, applied to be joined as a co-plaintiff while three persons, Chief Olowo Cornelius John Anjorin and Mallam Yusuf Adamu, sought to be joined as co-defendants through their counsel, A. A. Adeniyi(SAN).

Related Story:  President Buhari congratulates Chinese Leader on re-election

Even though INEC initially opposed their application, it subsequently withdrew its counter-affidavit to enable the matter to be heard expeditiously.

INEC lawyer however described the interlocutory application as a deliberate ploy to delay hearing of the matter.

The News Agency of Nigeria(NAN) reports that Melaye, who represents Kogi West Senatorial District, had in the suit, prayed the court to declare the petition his constituents presented to INEC for his recall as illegal.

Dino had also prayed the court for a declaration that the petition forwarded to INEC was invalid and of no effect, alleging that it was signed by fictitious, dead and none existing persons.

MTN News Alert
DMON
To receive our mobile newspaper on MTN delivered on your phone, text SAWD to 4900 at N50 per week or SAMD to 4900 at N150 per month.
For information on press releases, photos, promotional events and adverts, call or send text to 08173460599 or 08094208271or send email to: info@sundiatapost.com

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Sundiata Post Media Ltd.

Address: 3rd Floor Office Suite, Bayelsa State Guest House, Plot 1038, Shehu Shagari Way, Maitama, Abuja, Nigeria.
Tel: +234(0)92900705, +234(0)8173460599
Whatsapp: +234(0)8053069436
BBM PIN: 5619150D
Email: info@sundiatapost.com
Website: www.sundiatapost.com

Enugu Regional Office: SW 1 New Haven Shopping Mall, Enugu, Enugu State, Nigeria.
Tel: +234(0)7062582838
https://twitter.com/sundiatapost/

London Office: 18 Belgrave Avenue, Wd18 7UE, Watford, United Kingdom.
Tel: +447417554143
Dubai Office: PAU Management Suite, Level 23 - Boulevard Plaza Tower 2, Emaar Boulevard,
P. O. Box 124342, Dubai, UAE.
Tel: +971 4 4096849 | Fax: +971 4 409 6850
About Us

SundiataPost is published by Sundiata Post Media Limited, Sundiata Post is Nigeria’s most authoritative online newspaper and ranks among the top five online news platforms in Nigeria.

Guild of Corporate online publishers
ACCREDITED MEMBER
A Glance at Our Advert Rate.

Inside Pages

Size In Pixels - Amount

120×180 - N27,967.50

300×100 - N24,695

Text Link - N11,275

More Details info

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advert Rate