Saudis say time not ripe for international Yemen probe

Geneva –   Abdulaziz Alwasil, Saudi Arabia’s ambassador in Geneva said on Wednesday that the time is not right for an independent international inquiry into human rights violations in Yemen.

Alwasil spoke in respond to calls from the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (UNHCHR).

Since 2015, Saudi Arabia and its allies have been bombing the Iran-aligned Houthi movement which controls most of northern Yemen, including the capital Sanaa, in a conflict that has killed over 10,000 people.

The Houthis have in turn fired rockets toward Saudi cities and villages.

The Netherlands and Canada are backing a resolution at the UNHCHR mandating an international inquiry, but Alwasil said a national Yemeni commission would be in a better position to investigate.

“We are working together to hopefully come to a compromise.

“We have no objection to the inquiry itself, we just have a discussion about the timing, whether this is the right time to establish an international commission, with the difficulties on the ground,” Alwasil said.

Saudi Arabia and its allies are waging their military campaign in support of the internationally recognised Yemeni government and they have the backing of the United States.

Related Story:  Islamic State militants claim suicide attacks in Libya that kill 42

UNHCHR Chief Zeid Ra‘ad al-Hussein has long called for an independent international inquiry into the conflict and says Yemen’s National Commission is not up to the job of investigating the situation.

Zeid on Monday said that there had been only “minimal” efforts at holding people to account in what the UN has branded the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.

For the past two years the 47-member Human Rights Council has rejected the Dutch demand for an international probe and backed the Saudi view that favours a Yemeni commission.

Alwasil said that he expected the Council to back its stance, adding that a locally formed commission would have better access and connections around the country.

The Saudi envoy said the international community should focus its efforts on gaining access for humanitarian personnel.

The Saudi-led coalition has also has set up a team to investigate civilian casualties.

On Tuesday it said it had found a series of deadly airstrikes had been largely justified.(Reuters/NAN)

MTN News Alert
DMON
To receive our mobile newspaper on MTN delivered on your phone, text SAWD to 4900 at N50 per week or SAMD to 4900 at N150 per month.
For information on press releases, photos, promotional events and adverts, call or send text to 08173460599 or 08094208271or send email to: info@sundiatapost.com

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Sundiata Post Media Ltd.

Address: 3rd Floor Office Suite, Bayelsa State Guest House, Plot 1038, Shehu Shagari Way, Maitama, Abuja, Nigeria.
Tel: +234(0)92900705, +234(0)8173460599
Whatsapp: +234(0)8053069436
BBM PIN: 5619150D
Email: info@sundiatapost.com
Website: www.sundiatapost.com

Enugu Regional Office: SW 1 New Haven Shopping Mall, Enugu, Enugu State, Nigeria.
Tel: +234(0)7062582838
https://twitter.com/sundiatapost/

London Office: 18 Belgrave Avenue, Wd18 7UE, Watford, United Kingdom.
Tel: +447417554143
Dubai Office: PAU Management Suite, Level 23 - Boulevard Plaza Tower 2, Emaar Boulevard,
P. O. Box 124342, Dubai, UAE.
Tel: +971 4 4096849 | Fax: +971 4 409 6850
About Us

SundiataPost is published by Sundiata Post Media Limited, Sundiata Post is Nigeria’s most authoritative online newspaper and ranks among the top five online news platforms in Nigeria.

Guild of Corporate online publishers
ACCREDITED MEMBER
A Glance at Our Advert Rate.

Inside Pages

Size In Pixels - Amount

120×180 - N27,967.50

300×100 - N24,695

Text Link - N11,275

More Details info

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advert Rate