Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

10 dead as military airstrikes hit 2 villages in Sokoto

491
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS

SOKOTO (Sundiata Post) – A fighter jet has mistakenly bombed two communities in the Silame Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
The incident, which happened on Wednesday, left at least 10 innocent villagers dead and several others injured.

The Sokoto State Government confirmed the incident in a statement on Wednesday.

The Press Secretary to the Sokoto State Governor, Abubakar Bawa, said visited the two communities that were bombed by the military fighter jets.

People gather for the funeral of the victims of the military bombing in Sokoto State on December 25, 2024.

The governor sympathised with the community and described the incident as unfortunate.

“The military jets were on their mission to eliminate criminals armed groups terrorizing the state, and mistakenly bombed innocent people of this community,” he said.

“We consider this as a mistake because the same military had on several occasions successfully  raided so many  criminal hideouts in the state.”

Aliyu stated that a thorough investigation would be conducted to find out what led to the avoidable mistake, so as to guard against its recurrence.

He also rayed to Almighty Allah to forgive the deceased and give their families the strength to bear the loss.

Also, the Chairman of Silame Local Government Area, Abubakar Mohammed Daftarana, identified the affected villages as Gidan Sama and Rumtuwa.

He said the fighter jets were reportedly targeting Lakurawa terrorists, adding that the team was working to assess the level of damage and casualties emanating from the airstrike.

According to Daftarana, it is too early to confirm the number of people either killed or injured because assessment is still ongoing.

 

Efforts to speak with the police authority to confirm the incident were unsuccessful, and the mobile number of the Sokoto State Police Command’s spokesman was not connected.

Shortly after, the military authorities issued a statement on the incident.

The spokesman for Operation Fansan Yamma, Lieutenant Colonel Abubakar Abdullahi, however, did not confirm if military jets struck the communities.

He admitted that there is a significant risk that Lakurawa and other terrorist groups “may attempt to undermine military successes through media disinformation, necessitating caution concerning unverified claims, especially in the ongoing fight against terrorism and banditry.”

“The Joint Task Force North West Operation Fansan Yamma has addressed recent reports concerning a military fighter jet allegedly bombing civilian structures in the Silame Local Government Area of Sokoto State,” he said.

“These reports have raised concerns; however, it is crucial to clarify that all military operations are conducted based on thorough intelligence and reconnaissance missions. This rigorous process is particularly important when targeting groups like the Lakurawa terrorist organisation, as it aims to ensure precision and protect civilian lives.

“Given the serious nature of these operations, the public is urged to rely on confirmed information to prevent misinformation and unnecessary panic.

“Importantly, the targets struck in the vicinity of Gidan Sama and Rumtuwa have been positively identified as associated with the Lakurawa group, reinforcing the justification for the military action taken.”

For more news updates and commentaries click below to join us on WhatsApp

PAY ATTENTION: Follow Sundiata Post on WhatsApp so you don’t miss breaking news and commentaries. Click HERE TO JOIN US NOW!!!

Advertisement

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

StatCounter - Free Web Tracker and Counter