In a decision by a five-man panel of Justices led by Justice Mary Odili, the court held that Degi-Eremieoyo presented a forged certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.
The new development means Peoples Democratic Party’s candidates – Senator Douye Diri and his running mate, Lawrence Ewhruojakpo, will be issue fresh certificates as the governor-elect and deputy governor-elect respectively.
Below are 10 things you need to know about the Governor-elect, Diri:
- Diri is the senator representing Bayelsa Central senatorial district of Bayelsa state at the Nigerian 9th National Assembly.
- Diri was born on June 4, 1959, in Kolokuma/Opokuma, Bayelsa. He is 60-year-old.
- Senator Douye started his career as a teacher and taught in several government schools in the rural area in the Old Rivers State.
- He is a son to A.J.M Diri of Kalama-Owinari.
- He earned his First School Leaving Certificate (FSLC) in 1977 at Rev. Proctor Memorial Primary School Kaima.
- He obtained his West African Senior School Certificate Examinations (WASCE) at Government Secondary School Odi in 1981.
- He obtained his Nigerian Certificate in Education (NCE) at the College of Education in Port-Harcourt, Rivers State in 1985 and earned Bachelors of Education degree in Political Science at the University of Port-Harcourt, Rivers State, in 1990.
- He was the first National Organizing Secretary of the Ijaw National Congress (INC), the foremost organization of the Ijaw Nation; Executive Secretary, Centre for Youth Development in Bayelsa State; Commissioner for Youth and Sports; Council Board member, University of Maiduguri; Chairman of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) Disciplinary Council, Bayelsa State; Deputy Chief of Staff, Government House and Principal Executive Secretary.
- A member of the Federal House of Representatives, representing Kolokuma, Opokuma, and Yenagoa Federal Constituency, 2015.
- He emerged winner of the governorship primary election of the PDP in Bayelsa State on September 4, 2019.