Elon Musk, the Chief Executive of electric car company Tesla, has emerged the world’s wealthiest person, a spot previously claimed by Amazon boss Jeff Bezos.
His wealth as estimated by CNBC is $185 billion after share price in his company surged in the past year.
Here are some things you didn’t know about Musk:
- Musk was born in South Africa on June 28, 1971, to Maye and Errol Musk who also gave birth to Kimbal (brother) and Tosca (sister).
- He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1997 with degrees in economics and physics.
- He dropped out of Stanford University just after two days into a PhD in applied physics and material sciences. His decision paid off after Zip2, a company which he started after dropping out was acquired by Compaq for $307 million in 1999.
- Companies he founded and co-founded include Zip2, PayPal (X.com), The Musk Foundation, SpaceX, Tesla, SolarCity, OpenAI, Neuralink, The Boring Company, and Thud.
- He was included in Bloomberg’s list of 50 most influential names and was ranked 25th on the Forbes list of The World’s Most Powerful People in 2018.
- He made a guest appearance in the movie Iron Man 2, and also appeared in an episode of the sitcom The Big Bang Theory (‘The Platonic Permutation’) and The Simpsons.
- He has been married thrice and has five sons with his first wife Justine Wilson (one set of twins and one set of triplets). All his children attend a school he set up in a mansion in California which he called Ad Astra.
- Despite being Tesla CEO, a company founded by Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning, Musk earns an annual salary of $1.
- Musk was recently offered a green card by China, which is a privilege enjoyed by an elite group of foreigners, Nobel laureates and a former NBA star.