Lagos – Some politicians have called on the Federal Government to intensify search for the Chibok girls and their safe return, noting that the action will complement the victory acheived in the fight against Boko Haram insurgency so far.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that more than 200 female students of Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State, were kidnapped from their hostel on April 14, 2014.
President Muhammadu Buhari had on Dec. 30, 2015, during a media chat in Abuja, said there had been no firm intelligence on the whereabouts or physical wellbeing of the Chibok girls.
Mr Oghene Egoh, member representing Amuwo Odofin Federal Constituency at the National Assembly, in an interview with NAN, appealed to the president to ensure that the girls were found and brought back alive.
“Nothing much has been done on the Chibok girls.
“Even those who used to campaign so much about the Chibok girls are not talking about it.
I don’t believe that it is impossible for the Army to discover over 200 girls.
“I want to appeal to the President – this is not a political issue – let him make efforts to find these girls for us so that the pride of Nigeria can be restored to Nigerians.’’
Contributing, Prof. Oluremi Sonaiya, the 2015 Presidential Candidate of the KOWA Party,
expressed hope that the girls would be found and brought back home to their parents.
“We really recognise that things have changed, there is no doubt about that, there has been a lot of improvement, a lot of advancement and we commend the armed forces.
“However, we cannot but feel a bit disappointed that finding the Chibok girls and bringing them (back) home is not part of the success that we can talk of against Boko Haram.
“We just pray and hope that, that part of a success will become a reality very soon,’’ she said.
Cue out audio 2
They, therefore, urged members of the Bring Back Our Girls (BBOG) campaign group to intensify their struggle in ensuring the safe return of the Chibok girls. (NAN)