International organisation seeks $97.2m for relief interventions in South Sudan

Whatapp News

NAIROBI – The International Organisation for Migration (IOM), on Monday in Nairobi, appealed for 97.2 million dollars to continue providing emergency humanitarian interventions across South Sudan until December.

The UN migration agency said the revised funding appeal reflects the reality on the ground, where over one million Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) are in dire need of humanitarian assistance.

John McCue, the IOM South Sudan Head of Operations, said the additional funding was needed to strengthen their ongoing emergency operations to meet the growing needs of displaced persons and vulnerable communities.

He said more than 94,000 people were currently sheltering in Protection of Civilians (PoC) sites, the largest of which located in Central Equatoria State.

Related news  South African President Cyril Ramaphosa Sworn into Office

McCue said the deteriorating situation had already triggered communicable disease outbreaks including cholera, hepatitis E and measles.

“Forecasts suggest that millions of South Sudanese will face acute food insecurity in the coming months,’’ he said.

“Our appeal is based on IOM’s capacity to provide lifesaving humanitarian assistance in order to effectively address the needs of the affected populations,” he added.

The head of operations said that in May, IOM received funding worth 43.8 million dollars or 44 per cent.

He added that the fund had enabled the agency to register over 300,000 IDPs, distributed essential relief supplies to over 200,000 people, served more than 27,000 people with adequate WASH services and conducted nearly 65,000 health consultations. (Xinhua/NAN)

Whatapp News