Home News 2015: Group wants INEC to shift elections from February to March

2015: Group wants INEC to shift elections from February to March

33
0

ABUJA – A US-based group, Love Your Country Initiative, has called on the Independent National

[pro_ad_display_adzone id=”8″]

Electoral Commission (INEC) to shift the Nigeria general elections slated for Feb. 14 and Feb.28 2015 to March, 2015.
This is contained in a statement signed by, Mr Femi Sule, a copy of which was made available to the [pro_ad_display_adzone id=”10″]News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday in Abuja.
According to the statement, the shift is necessary to enable INEC complete the ongoing nationwide Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) distribution to make the elections credible.
It said that it had become clear that INEC would not finish the PVC distribution before the elections, just three weeks away.
“With less than a month to elections, INEC has only distributed about 75 per cent of the voter cards.
“As at Friday, Jan. 16, not one person in Borno had collected PVC. The Sultan of Sokoto has also yet to collect his.
“Our concern is that if INEC could only distribute 75 per cent of the PVC in more than one year, certainly it will not be able to distribute the remaining 25 per cent in just three weeks,’’ the statement said.
The group, therefore, appealed to all registered political parties and political stakeholders to support its call on INEC to shift the elections by one month.
The statement further said that shifting the elections by one month, INEC would still be able to conduct the exercise within the time stipulated by the provisions of Section 25 (6) of the 2010 Electoral Act as amended.
Section 25 (6) states that: “An election to the said office of the president shall be held on a date not earlier than 150 days and not less than 30 days.’’
This it adds must be `’before the expiration of the term of office of the last holder of that office.’’
The group recalled that the 2011 general elections were held in April of that year without breaching the provisions of the Electoral Act. (NAN)

Loading...
Previous articleCivil society groups urge politicians to refrain from abusive statements
Next articleCEO lists lack of funding, insecurity as challenges facing development of private theatre

Leave a Reply