Attack on convoy: Malnutrition may worsen in north east as UN suspends humanitarian aid

By Max Amuchie

ABUJA (Sundiata Post) -The malnutrition crisis in Nigeria’s northeast region may worsen following the suspension of humanitarian aid in the region by the United Nations.
The suspension of further humanitarian assistance in Northeast Nigeria was announced on Thursday by Doune Porter, chief of communication, UNICEF, Abuja in a statement she sent to Sundiata Post.
According to Porter, the development followed an attack on a humanitarian convoy in Borno State on Thursday.
She said that unknown assailants attacked a humanitarian convoy that included UNICEF staff as well as staff of the United Nations Fund for Population Activities (UNFPA) and the International Organisation for Migration (IOM).
Porter said the convoy was traveling from Bama to Maiduguri in Borno State, north-east Nigeria returning from delivering desperately needed humanitarian assistance.
“UNICEF can confirm that a UNICEF employee and an IOM contractor were injured in the attack and are being treated at a local hospital. All other UNICEF, IOM and UNFPA staff are safe.
“The convoy was in a remote area of northeastern Nigeria, where protracted conflict has caused extreme suffering and has triggered a severe malnutrition crisis. This was not only an attack on humanitarian workers. It is an attack on the people who most need the assistance and aid that these workers were bringing.
“The United Nations has temporarily suspended humanitarian assistance missions pending review of the security situation,” the statement further said.
Earlier this this month it was revealed that 2.5 million children in the North east were at the risk of acute malnutrition and the UN and its agencies especially UNICEF have been involved in galvanising efforts towards deploying resources and aid to those in urgent need of assistance in the north east.

Be the first to comment