* Lai Mohammed clarifies statement on Buhari’s ‘work-from-home’
By Teddy Nwanunobi
Abuja (Sundiata Post) — President Muhammadu Buhari, on Wednesday, denied the statement credited to former President, Goodluck Jonathan, that Buhari’s government is harassing the ex-President’s family.
The Presidency said that it was constrained to respond to the banner headline story in a national newspaper, entitled: Buhari’s Govt Harassing My Family, Says Jonathan.
Reacting to the story, Special Adviser to Buhari (Media & Publicity), Femi Adesina, in a statement, however, claimed that merely allows the law to take its course.
The statement added that the scale of revelations and recoveries by the anti-corruption agencies is a testimony that corruption has an uninhibited course in Nigeria during the recent past.
“The paper said that former President, Goodluck Jonathan, made the allegation in a new book, “Against The Run of Play”, written by the Chairman of ThisDay Editorial Board, Olusegun Adeniyi.
“The former President also reportedly disagreed with the style being used by the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari in fighting corruption.
“We make bold to state unequivocally that President Buhari harasses nobody; he merely allows the law to take its course. For the umpteenth time, we say that anybody without skeleton in his or her cupboard, has nothing to fear about the bared fangs of the anti-corruption initiative. Fear belongs only to those who have abused trust while in office.
“Anybody who feels aggrieved is free to approach the courts to seek redress or justice. President Buhari believes in the rule of law and that is why his campaign against corruption is anchored on that plank.
“With regard to President Buhari’s anti-graft style, which the former president deprecates, given the scale of revelations and recoveries so far by the anti-corruption agencies, it is obvious that corruption had an uninhibited course during our recent past. In any case, time will give the verdict on whose style of fighting corruption ultimately yielded the most dividends.
“For now, President Buhari is resolute and single-minded in the fact that his crusade against graft is not targeted at any individual or group. He firmly believes that national interest must always be placed above personal interest, no matter who is involved,” the statement said.
Meanwhile, the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, has reacted to the report in a section of the media of his post-Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting press briefing, on Wednesday, saying that he never said that the President is to work from home henceforth.
In a statement issued in Abuja, the Minister said that the President only decided to work from home today, not that he has decided to work from home henceforth.
Mohammed said the headlines in a section of the media, ‘Buhari to now work from home – Lai Mohammed’, is a misrepresentation of his statement at the briefing.
Quoting verbatim the relevant section of his briefing, Mohammed said: “He (the President) wanted to rest TODAY and he asked the VP to preside over TODAY’S meeting. In addition, he also asked that all his files be taken home to him and he will be working from home TODAY,” Mohammed’s Special Adviser, Segun Adeyemi, said in a statement.