The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications Officer, NOC
- The job is found in Headquarters (HQ), Regional Bureaux (RBs) and in Country Offices (COs).
- Job holders work with high degree of independence using technical knowledge and experience to analyse data, prepare reports, provide advice and solutions to problems, and identify opportunities for improvements.
- In HQ, job holders report to the Director of Communications or the designate, and work in a specialist area of communications.
- In RBs, job holders report to the Regional Director or the designate, with functional supervision from the Director of Communications or the designate.
- In COs, these jobs report to the Country Director with functional supervision from the Regional Communications Officer, to ensure that the CO communications activities serve WFP needs in the country of assignment, taking into consideration the overall regional communications plan and WFP’s corporate communications goals.
- To develop, plan and implement communications activities that support the overall communications strategy and WFP objectives.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Develop, maintain and update an appropriate work plan for the assigned area, which implements the corporate communications strategy, in order to maintain and enhance the visibility and reputation of WFP, and support fundraising activities, ensuring alignment with WFP strategy.
- Plan, manage and evaluate communications campaigns that favourably impact the views of the public, opinion leaders and donors in order to raise WFP’s profile and support fundraising activities.
- Prepare communications products that effectively convey the desired message to targeted audience(s).
- Maintain and develop a contact list of journalists and media outlets, and manage the regular flow of news/information about WFP’s work to the media, ensuring reputational risks are identified and managed.
- Define a social media plan for the assigned area which leverages social media content, platforms, networks and partners to enhance coverage and support of WFP’s activities.
- Generate and/or facilitate the production of donor specific visibility content including, text, photos, videos and audio for use across a range of integrated online platforms, in order to support global and country fundraising activities, ensuring consistency with corporate messages.
- Track and analyse traditional and online media, to identify trends and/or issues, and propose solutions and ideas to improve the effectiveness of communication strategy and activities.
- Manage junior communications officers/team, develop work plans, monitor performance against objectives, and ensure appropriate development to enable high performance.
- Coordinate and prepare accurate and timely reporting on communications activities that enables informed decision-making, evaluation of objectives and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Build capacity of WFP staff on all aspects of external relations communication, providing advice, guidance and training to ensure consistent, quality communications activities that deliver the desired impact.
- Work in close collaboration with counterparts to align activities and ensure a coherent approach to communications within WFP.
- Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance and monitoring the management of communications specific risks.
- Other as required.
Media and Influencer Relationship Management:
- Demonstrates ability to formulate and maintain strong relationships with key media and influencers.
- Leads in implementing identified strategy to raise the profile of WFP, build relationships and further organisational aims.
Media and Communication Expertise:
- Provides guidance to team members in facilitating open and informative verbal and written communication between media and influencers.
- Directs a team in the preparation of tailored written reports, presentations materials.
Specialised Knowledge in Communications:
- Uses sound theoretical knowledge of communications concepts to generate or facilitate the generation of effective communication materials across various media.
- Applies this to define work plans aligned to identified areas of WFP’s communications strategy.
Sociopolitical Contextual Understanding:
- Demonstrates deep understanding of the multilateral/interagency environment and the dynamics in which WFP operates which influences approach to working, policy development and decision making.
Communication Strategy and Planning:
- Applies advanced understanding of WFP communications strategy and best practice to effectively develop strategies to engage with media and other significant external stakeholders within area of responsibility.
- Oversees implementation, providing recommendations for improvement.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Advanced University Degree in Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
- International Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
- Fluency (level C) in English language and the duty station’s language, if different.
Desired Experiences for Entry into the Role:
- Has gained experience in specialised communications practices and applies this to all activities
- Has managed small teams of staff with related areas of expertise in the delivery of innovative communications projects
- Has provided support in leading projects and input into function policies
Terms and Conditions
- Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year.
- WFP offers an attractive compensation package.
Application Closing Date
12th May, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online