Abuja – The UN on Thursday drew the attention of the International Community to the women, men and children in the North East of Nigeria who face grave human rights violations and sexual and gender-based violence.
In a message by Mr Edward Kallon, UN Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, on the World Humanitarian Day, said since the start of the conflict in 2009, no fewer than 20,000 people had been killed.
He said that thousands of women and girls have been abducted and children continue to be used on a regular basis as so-called “suicide” bombers.
Thousands of families, he said, have been forced to flee their villages, rather than build their homes, livelihoods and communities.
Kallon also condemned the Tuesday terrorist attack in Konduga, Borno that killed 27 civilians and wounded over 80 others.
According to him in this year World Humanitarian Day in Nigeria brought everyone together to reaffirm that civilians caught in conflict are `NotATarget`.
“We are particularly reminded of this by the series of terrorist attacks in Konduga, Borno, on Tuesday evening that killed 27 innocent civilians and wounded over 80 more.
“I condemn this attack and extend my deepest sympathies to the victims and their families. I also extend my condolences to the Government and the people of Nigeria.
“At the same time, health and aid workers, who care for people affected by violence, are affected by the lack of security, which constrains our access to desperately vulnerable communities,” he said.
Kallon said at the same time, health and aid workers, who care for people affected by violence, are affected by the lack of security, which constrains our access to desperately vulnerable communities.
People must be put first.(NAN)