Ondo State – Some unknown gunmen have abducted a groom, his bride, the best man and two other family members at Akunnu in Akoko North East Local Government of Ondo State on Sunday.
It was gathered that the incident occurred few hours to the engagement ceremony of the couple.
It was learnt that the groom, Moses Yakubu and his bride alongside the best man and two other family members were coming from Okene in Kogi State and heading to Akure for the engagement slated for today when their car was seized at a gunpoint at Akunnu Akoko.
Father of the bride, Mr Ahmed Amodu who confirmed the incident said the bride and younger sister were later set free by the kidnappers, who took away the groom and the remaining two male and female friends.
The engagement scheduled to hold on Sunday afternoon at Ogungbolahan street, off Agagu road, Aule Quarters, Akure has been called off.
The venue of the engagement in Akure is now in mournful mood as they are awaiting security operatives to rescue the bridegroom and his friends, even as the bride has been in deep sorrow since the incident occurred.
Confirming the incident, the spokesman of the Ondo state police command, Mr Femi Joseph said policemen had been deployed to the scene and forest in the area to rescue the victims.
The PPRO noted that the command would do everything possible to put an end to incessant kidnapping at the Akoko area, which shares boundary with Kogi and Edo states.