Lagos – Commissioner of Police (CP), Lagos State, Edgal Imohimi, has ordered investigation into alleged killing of three men during a raid by Lagos State Task Force on Land grabbers at Ilaje area of Makoko, Lagos.
Imohimi, who gave the order in Lagos on Tuesday, said that an unknown land grabber attacked the policemen and the task force officials during which they were forced to defend themselves.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that three people were killed in the fracas following arguments among residents of Ilaje, officials from the Ministry of Justice and the taskforce operatives.
Imohimi said he ordered investigation into the matter based on new evidence that emerged from a petition written by a lawyer from the church where the fracas started.
“As a first step, the head of the policemen who ordered the police to the assignment and who incidentally is the head of the Anti-Kidnapping unit has been relieved of his appointment to give way for impartial investigation.
“All the policemen in the unit that went on the assignment have been brought to State Headquarters for proper investigation.
“Also, a letter of investigation had been sent to the head of Land grabbers unit at the Ministry of Justice and he has given his statement as to the assignment and what transpired.
“We are also in the process of obtaining statement from the leadership of the church and other witnesses.” he said.
Imohimi further assured members of the public that the investigation would be thorough and anyone found guilty of abuse of power would be penalised. (NAN)