Cairo – A meeting of Arab defence chiefs and foreign ministers on forming a joint regional military force has been postponed for the second time in two months, the Arab League said Wednesday.
The talks, scheduled for Thursday, were postponed on requests from Saudi Arabia, Algeria, Kuwait, Iraq, Oman, Bahrain, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates, the Cairo-based League said in a statement.
The pan-Arab organisation did not give a reason for the delay, saying that a new date for the meeting will be set later.
The countries were meant to endorse an agreement on creating a military force that would tackle the growing influence of hard line jihadists in the region.[pro_ad_display_adzone id=”70560″]
Arab defence chiefs had met twice in May and June to draft the mechanism for setting up the joint force, which was initially approved at an Arab summit held in Egypt earlier in 2015.
In late March, Saudi Arabia and Sunni fellow Arab countries unleashed an air campaign in Yemen targeting Shiite Houthi rebels allied with Shiite Iran.
In 1950, members of the Arab League signed a joint defence agreement, which has been rarely enforced. (dpa/NAN)