At least 5 security officials killed as Boko Haram attacks Borno State Govt’s convoy




Whatsapp News

 

 

MAIDUGURI – A convoy conveying officials of the Borno has been attacked near Monguno town.

 

The officials were ambushed by Boko Haram terrorists while they were journeying to Baga, where Governor Babagana Zulum is expected to receive returning IDPs.

 

It is still uncertain what the real casualty figure is, but sources say at least five security men might have been killed in the ambush.

 

It , however, gathered that the casualties include both , personnel, and an unspecified of civilians.

 

An Armoured Personnel Carrier belonging to the as well as vehicles were reportedly hijacked in the attack.

 

had flown in an Airforce chopper to Baga earlier today, where he performed the prayers with .

 

The governor is expected to receive about three thousand civilians who will be transported from IDP camps both in Maiduguri and Monguno Saturday.

 

Govt’s convoy attack, a growing concern

The attack is the second of its kind, stirring great concern.

 

Earlier in July, the convoy of the Borno , Babagana Zulum, narrowly escaped a terror attack in Baga town.

 

had departed Maiduguri, the state capital for the northern part of the state in continuation of a food distribution programme, and a few kilometers to the town, gunmen opened fire on the governor and his entourage.

 

Distraught by the attack, Zulum confronted the army expressing his disappointment at the inability of the to rid Baga and environs of insurgents.

 

“You have been here for over one year now, there are 1,181 soldiers here; if you cannot take over Baga which is less than 5 km from your base, then we forget about Baga. will inform the Chief of Army Staff to redeploy the men to other places that they can be useful,” Zulum said.

 

The governor insisted that there is sabotage in the system that will not allow the insurgency to end in the North East.

 

He claimed that some elements are trying to frustrate the effort of the government in ending the insurgency, stressing that “President Buhari needs to know the ”.

The in reply to Zulum’s claims said the governor’s theories are unfounded.

 

Speaking on behalf of the army, Major General Felix Omoigui, the Deputy Theatre Operation Lafiya Dole, warned that such remarks by a highly placed person are capable of demoralizing the , a situation which would negatively impact on and the confidence of the soldiers at the frontlines. (Channels TV)