At least five shot during Guinea opposition protest




Whatsapp News

By Saliou Samb

CONAKRY – At least five people were wounded by gunfire ’s capital Conakry on Monday during violent opposition protests against the timing of , an opposition leader and a witness said.

As early as 0300 GMT on Monday, some opposition supporters erected barricades and burned tyres on the streets of the seaside capital while youths fought street battles with the police and gendarmes.

According to the opposition, at least three people have been killed and 50 injured in the protests which began last week.

Guinea’s electoral commission announced last month that a presidential would be held on Oct. 11, a decision the opposition said broke a 2013 agreement to stage long-delayed local elections first.

Analysts say that holding local first would give President Alpha Conde’s rivals influence in organising the presidential election.

[pro_ad_display_adzone id=”10″]

Monday’s clashes intensified in the evening, and regular gunshots were heard in several neighbourhoods.

A Reuters witness met a young opposition supporter named Oumar Bah, who was being carried to hospital by friends after being struck in the buttock by a bullet.

“It was the police who did this to me,” he said.

 

*(Reuters)*