Home News Attempted kidnap: CEO “Young Shall Grow” testifies June 17

Attempted kidnap: CEO “Young Shall Grow” testifies June 17

271
0

By ADENIKE AYODELE

Chukwudimeme Onwuamadike

IKEJA- An Ikeja Special Offences Court adjourned until Friday to hear the evidence of  Chief Vincent Obianodo, who the convicted kidnap kingpin, Chukwudimeme Onwuamadike, alias Evans, allegedly attempted to kidnap.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports Evans is stranding trial alongside Joseph Emeka for attempted kidnap of Obianodo.

The State Prosecution Counsel, Mr Yusuf Sule, informed the court that the witness who was supposed to testify could not come online.

He prayed the court to allow him testify via zoom at the next adjourned date.

Sule further argued that the testimony of the prosecution witness, the Investigating Police Officer (IPO), who was already in the box  could be expunged in order to bring in another witness.

NAN reports that the court  had on March 11 ordered Evans to engage a lawyer before the next date of adjournment or be ready to defend himself.

Frank Udeme, one of the co-defendants of Evans had been sentenced to five years’ imprisonment on March 11.

Udeme had pleaded guilty to selling firearms to Evans.

According to the prosecution, Evans and Emeka committed the offence on Aug. 27, 2013, at Third Avenue in Festac Town, Lagos.

Evans and his accomplice are alleged to have killed one Ngozi Chijioke and attempted to kidnap and kill Obianodo.

The defendants pleaded not guilty to a seven-count charge of murder, attempted murder, conspiracy to commit kidnapping, attempt to kidnap and sale and transfer of firearms over the attempted kidnap of Obianodo.

Meanwhile, in a related case, Justice   Oluwatoyin Taiwo ordered the second defendant to open his defence after  the  court rejected the submission of the new counsel to Evans, Mr Amobi Nzelu to postpone the trial.

Evans was standing trial  along  Victor Aduba, an ex-soldier for allegedly kidnapping a businessman, Mr Sylvanus Ahamonu, and collecting a 420,000 dollars ransom from his family.

Nzelu had argued that he was new in the case and said he had appealed to the prosecution to give him a week after  June 21.

“I am new in this matter my Lord. I have spoken with the prosecutor and appealed to him to give me a week after June 21 to prepare myself,” he said.

Sule, however, urged the court to allow the case go on Friday, adding that Evans sister had agreed to testify as the second defence witness.

“My lord, the first defendant has changed more than five counsels in this case. His sister has said she will  come to court to testify. She can give her own testimony on Friday.

“The second defendant is ready to open his defense but the first defendant is the one delaying the case,” he said.

Taiwo also adjourned the case until June 17 for the second defendant to open his defence.

NAN reports that Evans had on Feb. 4 opened his defence and denied kidnapping Ahamonu and
collecting 420,000 dollars ransom from his family.

NAN also reports that the judge expressed dissatisfaction at the absence of the defendants on March 28 which stalled their the trial.

Evans is facing  four kidnapping charges at  various high courts of  Lagos State.

Justice Hakeem Oshodi on Feb. 25,  sentenced him and two other to life imprisonment for  kidnapping
Mr Donatius Dunu, the Chief Executive Officer  of Maydon Pharmaceuticals Ltd. (NAN)

Loading...
Previous articleLabour Party embarks on massive rural mobilisation in Enugu State
Next articleKwara teaching, non-teaching staff to enjoy promotions

Leave a Reply