By Press Release
At the emergency meeting of the National Officers’ Committee (NOC) meeting held at 7.00am on Monday 25th April, 2016 at Giginya Coral Hotel Sokoto, we wish to give the following updates:
1. As a follow-up to the earlier statement issued by NOC yesterday, it is now confirmed that the Ekiti State delegates for the Annual General Conference/Annual Delegates Meeting (AGC/ADM) currently holding in Sokoto, were involved in a fatal motor accident along Abuja-Kaduna Expressway. Six of our members and the driver have been confirmed dead and these are their names:
i. Dr. Alex Akinyele – Secretary NMA Ekiti, Federal Teaching Hospital (FTH), Ido Ekiti
ii. Dr. Tunde Aladesanmi – General Surgeon, FTH, Ido Ekiti
iii. Dr. O.J. Taiwo – Anatomic Pathologist, Ekiti State University Teaching Hospital (EKSUTH), Ado-Ekiti
iv. Dr. Ogunseye J.B – National Association of General and Government Medical and Dental Practitioners (NAGGMDP) National Secretary, Hospital Management Board (HMB), Ekiti.
v. Dr. Olajide .O – Association of Resident Doctors (ARD), EKSUTH President
vi. Dr. Atolani Adeniyi – Secretary NAGGMDP, Ekiti State
vii. Mr. Ajibola – NMA Ekiti Driver
2. Other delegates who survived the accident are in stable condition and are receiving medical attention under the auspices of the Chairman of the Kaduna State NMA and his team.
3. The bereaved families have been contacted and arrangements are in motion to convey the bodies back to Ekiti State.
4. NOC has sent its representatives to Kaduna for on the spot assessment and compliment the effort of the Kaduna team.
5. While the conference continues, the NOC hereby directs that all doctors should observe one week of mourning from Tuesday 26th to Tuesday 3rd of May, 2016. Every doctor should put on Black band on the left arm over white overall.
6. NMA is in contact with the bereaved families and burial arrangements will be communicated in due course.
7. May the souls of the departed rest in perfect peace. We pray that the Almighty God gives the bereaved and all our Hippocratic families the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss.
Dr. Kayode OBEMBE Dr. Adewunmi ALAYAKI
PRESIDENT SECRETARY GENERAL