Lagos – Francis Orbih, the Vice-Chairman, Badminton Federation of Nigeria (BFN), has expressed his utmost frustration over the indefinite postponement of the Lagos International Badminton Classics set to tip off July 13.
Orbih told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on telephone that the postponement was a sad development that could attract penalties from the world body.
According to Orbih, BFN and the Lagos State Sports Council, financiers of the annual event, have shockingly pulled away at the 11th hour.
He said that the three days event was meant to be an added development on the success achieved in the tournament’s previous years.
“It is a sad development, and I am shocked about the action of the federal and state governments in pulling out of such a reputable event.
“We have worked hard to build it in the last two years and have received so many accolades for being able to stage such an event for the sport’s development.
“The withdrawal of the state and federal government also came at the wrong time because the Indian delegation that was already in the country had to leave for their homes.
“The Federal Government’s claim was that there was not enough funds, while the Lagos State Government backed out because it considered it a project of the past government,’’ Orbih said.
He added that other private sponsors also pulled out simply because they could not ascertain the position of the state and the federal government.
“We successfully staged two editions that had no fewer than 120 foreign countries with their top world-rated players participating for honours.
“I am saddened about this development, especially where all had been set and all we were waiting for was the disbursement of funds to tip of the event.
“This brought a lot of confusion as it is obvious that the world governing body will penalise us for our actions and sanctions for the frustrations we caused the players,’’ he said.
The chairman added that the new dates would be communicated accordingly when the BFN and the Lagos State Sports Council meet to resolve issues that caused the postponement.
NAN reports that the 2015 edition had participants from Ireland, Turkey, U.S., Canada, Ghana, Zambia and Nigeria among others, while the price money was 15,000 dollars. (NAN)