Britain withdraws embassy staff from Yemen over security concerns

Spread the love

SANA – Tobias Ellwood, British Minister for the Middle East, said government has withdrawn staff from its embassy in Yemen and temporarily suspended operations there.
He said on Wednesday in Sana’a, that the action was as a result of the crisis in the region

Whatapp NewsTelegram News

[pro_ad_display_adzone id=”10″]

and for the security of its staff.
This was coming a day after the U.S. shut its embassy.
Ellwood said the security situation in Yemen has continued to deteriorate over recent days.
He said the authority in Yemen has unraveled since a Shi’ite Muslim militia formally seized power last week and the Sunni al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) group has sworn to destroy it, stoking fears of sectarian civil war.
“Our Ambassador and diplomatic staff have left Yemen this morning and will return to the UK,”he said. (Reuters/NAN)


Spread the love