Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed, on Sunday refuted reports that he said President Muhammadu Buhari won’t return home because of faulty aircraft.
Lai Mohammed, in a terse statement issued by his media aide, Segun Adeyemi, insisted he did not speak with anyone on Buhari’s movement.
It reads: “Our attention has been drawn to a report quoting the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, as saying the President’s return to Nigeria may be hampered by a faulty aircraft.
“The minister has not spoken to anyone on the issue of the President’s return, hence this report is another from the stable of the purveyors of fake news and should be disregarded”.
Recall that the pesidency had announced that Buhari was proceeding to the United Kingdom as part of his annual leave and that he would undergo routine medical check-ups.
A statement issued said: “In line with Section 145 (1) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), the President of the Senate, and Speaker, House of Representatives, have been duly communicated.
“While away, the Vice President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo, will perform the functions of the Office of the President.”
Osinbajo is currently attending the ongoing World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos, Switzerland.
Days before his departure, the President had no public engagements while the weekly Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting was also cancelled.
Buhari had previously undertaken medical trip twice – February 5, 2015 and June 6, 2015.