Death toll from West Africa Ebola hits 337 – WHO update




Whatsapp News

DAKAR –  The from an outbreak of in Guinea, and Sierra Leone has hit 337 since February, the U.N. World Health Organisation said on Wednesday, as weak local health struggle to contain the highly contagious disease.

WHO said 47 new cases and 14 deaths had been reported in the region in the last week alone, despite the dispatch of international experts to help out.

Guinea remains worst affected, with 264 Ebola-related deaths, the WHO data showed, but the toll in Sierra Leone and Liberia has recently spiked, hitting 49 and 24 respectively.

WHO has tried to coordinate the regional response but imposing the restrictions needed to control such an infectious disease has proven difficult. WHO said last month an earlier dip in cases masked the seriousness of the outbreak.

Guinea’s new cases were reported in Gueckedou, a remote southeast region where the outbreak was first confirmed, but also in Boffa, hundreds of kilometres (miles) to the northwest of the capital city Conakry.

Liberia reported four deaths in its capital Monrovia on , the first to be confirmed in the sprawling ramshackle seaside city.

Sierra Leone’s toll has risen rapidly since it confirmed its first deaths in late .

The outbreak has led to some restrictions on flights and trade in the region but international mining firms operating in the three countries say operations have not yet been affected.

Discovered in 1976 after an outbreak in the Democratic of Congo, Ebola has a fatality rate of up to 90 percent and there is no vaccine and no known cure.
(Reuters)