DHQ hands over freed Boko Haram suspects to states

Whatapp News



The Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Gabriel Olonisakin, on Friday handed over three cleared Boko Haram suspects to their states.

The suspects are – Bakura Tijani, Saidu Lawal and Muhammed Umoru from Yobe and Borno States respectively, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.

Olonisakin said the gesture was to further demonstrate the level of adherence, observance of rule of law and transparency by the military in the prosecution of fight against terror in the Northeast.

He was represented by the Chief of Administration, DHQ, Rear Adm. Andrew Dacosta, at the event.

The CDS said the suspects had been investigated and cleared, hence the need to officially hand them over to their state officials.

He noted that such professional conduct had been exhibited by the military in the past, particularly by the Nigerian Army.

“The exercise is a continuous one and as many suspects that are cleared will be released, “he said.

He said the military is committed to the observance of the rule of law, human rights and international best practices.

Olonisakin said it was in this regard that the DHQ recently initiated the operation SAFE CORRIDOR to de-radicalise, rehabilitate and integrate surrendered Boko Haram members into the society.

He said the initiative was yielding results as some members of the group were surrendering.

Responding, the Yobe State Attorney- General and Commissioner for Justice, Alhaji Ahmed Gonori, who represented the state government, said the state is committed to the plight of its citizens.

“The state governor, Alhaji Ibrahim Geidam, is committed to the plight of citizens of the state wherever they are,” he said

NAN

Loading…