Warsaw – Four people were killed and 22 injured in a fire in a hospice in Poland on Monday.
The news agency PAP said that the fire broke out in the home in Chojnice in Pomerania, western Poland, around 3 am (0200 GMT), a spokesman for the fire brigade said.
The fire has now been extinguished. Among the 22 injured, who were taken to hospital, is a policeman who suffered smoke poisoning during the rescue operation.
According to initial findings the fire had broken out in one of the hospice’s rooms and was caused by a patient’s cigarette, a police spokesman told TV broadcaster TVN24.