PARIS – French and German ministers said the plan to redistribute asylum seekers across EU-member countries, proposed by the bloc’s executive last week reinforces a situation that was unsustainable.
The European Commission proposed in late May that 40,000 asylum seekers be relocated from Italy and Greece over two years.
The French Interior Minister, Bernard Cazeneuve and his German counterpart, Thomas De-Maiziere, said in joint statement on Monday in Paris that the plan foresaw the largest contingents of asylum seekers going to Germany and France.
They said the allocation plan must be reconsidered to be more equitable throughout the bloc.
The ministers said five member states, namely, France, Germany, Sweden, Italy and Hungary have taken in 75 per cent of asylum seekers.
The ministers said France and Germany “are ready to examine” the Commission’s proposal, adding that such a mechanism should remain temporary and exceptional and should be part of a global approach on migration.
They also called for processing centers to be established at common points of entry to quicken the processing of migrants’ applications.
Additionally, they said the European border agency Frontex should be strengthened.
Europe has faced a dramatic surge in migration over recent years and the International Organisation for Migration said last week that 77,224 migrants have arrived by boat in southern EU nations since the start of 2015. (dpa/NAN)
you may also like: