NAN reports that 12 countries were scheduled to participate in this year’s competition, initially scheduled to begin on Oct. 11 in Abuja.
“We are working according to the World Health Organisation (WHO) target, which is aimed at eliminating the virus within six months.
“The event was well attended last year, making it to look as if it is overcrowded, and we will not want that to happen again this year, especially now that the Ebola virus is spreading fast across West Africa.
“I don’t think it can hold this year again. But ideally, the new date will be in January. But again, I don’t want to fix a date and later we will have to shift it again.
“We want to make sure that this virus does not spread, as it is a collective responsibility to stop it, ’’ Chukwumerije told NAN.
He also told NAN that six countries had already registered for the competition before the postponement.[eap_ad_2]
He said that 10 out of the 12 countries due to take part in the competition were from West Africa.
“There was the need to ensure that the participants were safe,’’ the 2008 Olympic bronze medallist said.
He said the competition, when it eventually holds, would be an opportunity to showcase the electronic head guard which was newly introduced into the game.
Chukwemerije, however, said a provisional competition would be organised on Oct. 11 for taekwondoists in the FCT, so as to keep them active.
“I look forward to seeing what programme I can do on that day within the FCT. It must be something positive to keep that day alive,’’ he said.
NAN recalls that 340 taekwondoists from seven countries participated in the 2013 edition of the event, while 240 taekwondoists took part in the inaugural edition in 2012.(NAN)[eap_ad_3]