ABUJA (Sundiata Post) – The
Federal Government has clarified that
President Goodluck Jonathan will hand over the
reins of government to president-elect, Muhammadu Buhari
, on May 29
, and not at a dinner on May 28
as earlier reported
Minister of Information, Mrs. Patricia Akwashiki, made the clarification while briefing State House correspondents on the outcome of the weekly Federal Executive Council (FEC) on Wednesday.
She said a dinner would still be hosted by Jonathan for Buhari on May 28 and hinted that the president-elect might be honoured with an award.
Akwashiki added that all handover briefs being coordinated by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Anyim Pius Anyim, would be ready by May 28.
On the fears expressed by contractors that contracts might be revoked by the incoming government, Akwashiki said that government is continuous process and all viable contracts would be sustained.
She stressed that if there had been any slowing down of projects by contractors, it could only be a result of non assent to the 2015 budget, and not because of of fears of revocation.
On the sacking of Inspector-General of Police, Suleiman Abba, just a few weeks to the handover date, Akwashiki said it remained the prerogative of the President to take such decision and he had done what he felt should be done.