Kaduna abduction: Bandits release another 32 Baptist students after paying additional ransom, hold 31




Whatsapp News

Another 32 students of Bethel Baptist School in Kaduna State have regained freedom from bandits after spending 52 days in captivity, with 31 others still held hostage.

With the latest release, 90 students have regained their freedom so far.

The Vice President, Christian Association of Nigeria (19 Northern States and Abuja) and chairman of CAN in Kaduna State, Rev. Joseph Hayab, confirmed the development in an interview with one of our correspondents, adding that they had been reunited with their parents.

He said, “This (Friday) evening, 32 of the students were released. We expected more of that figure. We had been on since yesterday (Thursday). They have been reunited with their parents and they are taking them straight to the hospital for treatment. No time to waste.”

Hayab had earlier told one of our correspondents on Friday that the negotiator was working hard to ensure that the kidnappers released more students than they did last week.

He said, “The challenge is that the bandits do not release the children because their parents paid any amount. After all, we have one negotiator and when any amount is given to bandits, they release the number of children they deem fit. All the students released so far are junior students who are weak and vulnerable. None of the senior school students kidnapped has been released.

“CAN Kaduna State is simply crying out to spirited Nigerians to come to our rescue in whatever way to help get our children back home. The trauma parents of these children are going through is not good for their physical and mental health. The worst is how the children are faring in this rainy season. Those who were released came back very sick and weak, suggesting that those not back may be in a more severe situation.”

Parents paid additional N24m ransom after initial N50m –Sources
Sources had told Saturday PUNCH that the parents had paid a fresh N24m ransom after the initial N50m collected by the bandits.

was learnt that each student’s parents were asked to contribute an additional N300,000 to raise the fresh ransom after contributing N500,000 each for the first ransom.

Our correspondents gathered that sympathisers assisted with donations as some parents could not contribute.

A total of 121 students were abducted from their hostels by bandits on July 5 but some of them later escaped.

The kidnappers who initially demanded N100m ransom reduced to N60m after a series of negotiations. The police also claimed to have rescued two students in the Rijanna area along the Kaduna-Abuja highway.

A few days later, parents reportedly contributed money to buy foodstuffs for the abductors who demanded 30 bags of rice, 20 bags of beans and 10 kegs of palm oil.

After allegedly collecting N50m ransom, the bandits released 28 students on July 25 and promised to release the remaining 90 in batches. They also jerked up the ransom to N80m.

Last Saturday night, another 15 students were released and reunited with their parents amid mixed feelings of joy and sadness.

Reliable sources had told Sunday PUNCH last week that the kidnappers had vowed to collect interest for extra days spent by the remaining students and insisted on N80m ransom.

The development reportedly made the parents contribute another N300,000 each to pay an additional N24m ransom.

A source privy to the negotiation told one of our correspondents earlier on Friday that the kidnappers promised to release another 21 students on Thursday but parents appealed to them to free all the captives.

The source said, “Parents mobilised themselves and raised fresh N24m. They have lost confidence in the kidnappers but remain hopeful that the students will soon be released as promised by the bandits.

“They promised to release another batch of 21 students on Thursday (yesterday) but parents pleaded with them to release all the students as we have exhausted all our funds.

“They had gathered at the school since Thursday awaiting the arrival of the students. We are not sure of the number of students to be released but we are praying for the remaining students to be released.”

Another source confided in Saturday PUNCH that the bandits wanted to release another batch of students who had fallen ill.

The source, who also confirmed the fresh ransom payment, said was raised from parents’ contribution and donations by well-wishers.

He stated, “Not all the parents could raise the money demanded by the bandits. They contributed N500,000 to pay the first ransom then another N300,000 for the second ransom. There were also donations by well-wishers and sympathisers. The school has not made any donation except that has been coordinating the activities.”

Another source close to the school said the Kaduna Baptist Conference had long resolved not to negotiate with the bandits, but noted that the church management was exploring other avenues to ensure the release of the students.

The source said, “They have been working behind the scenes to ensure the safe release of the students. The money the parents have been paying is purely from them but the church and the school management have no hand in it. They have distanced themselves from any ransom payment.”

Zamfara gov receives freed students at Government House amidst heavy security

Meanwhile, the rescued students and teachers of College of Agriculture and Animal Science Bakura in Zamfara State kidnapped by bandits a week ago were on Friday received at the Government House by Governor Bello Mattawalle, amidst heavy security.

The PUNCH has earlier reported that the students and teachers were released on Thursday and would be brought to Government House on Friday.

Receiving the victims, Matawalle said they were rescued through the help of some repentant bandits.

He commended the police and other security agencies for the efforts leading to the unconditional release of the abducted students and staff.

The governor said his administration had taken drastic measures to curtail the activities of criminal elements in the state.

He therefore directed all the security agencies to ensure full compliance with the new measures.

Meanwhile, Matawalle, in view of the insecurity challenges in the state, ordered that sale of be restricted only to Gusau and the 14 local government area headquarters in the state.

This was contained in a statement by the governor’s Special Adviser on Public Enlightenment, Media and Communications, Alhaji Zailani Bappa.

The statement said, “Henceforth, all filling stations in the state are banned from selling fuel except in Gusau and the 14 local government headquarters.

“In addition, no eligible filling station is allowed to sell fuel of more that N10,000 to a single customer.”

“Similarly, the sale of fuel in jerry cans is disallowed in all filling stations while roadside purchase (popularly known as black market) is entirely banned.”

Matawalle further announced that all weekly markets across the state had been suspended but normal market activities of buying and selling for local consumptions are exempted from the ban.

The governor also ordered that the transportation of livestock to and fro the state is henceforth suspended while the transportation of food across the state and outside the state must be verified to authenticate its destination otherwise will be seized and taken to the orphanage.

The new rules further include the banning of riding on motorcycles and tricycles from 6pm to 6am in the state except the state capital which starts by 8pm to 6am every day. Furthermore, any tricycle that is covered will be stopped to verify its passengers, otherwise will be apprehended.

Bandits operated for two hours, killed 11 villagers – Katsina community
Bandits, early Friday morning, attacked Dan-Kumeji community in the Faskari Local Government Area of Katsina State, killing no fewer than six people and injuring six others.

This was as some bandits were said to have invaded the Zangon Shanu area of Samuru, near Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria in Kaduna State and abducted six residents in the early hours of Friday.

In Zamfara, residents said the bandits stormed the community a few minutes to midnight and operated for no fewer than two hours.

The bandits were also said to have laid ambush to the community, waylaying some of the residents who attempted to escape the attack, killing and injuring some, in the process. The residents put the number of those killed by the bandits at eleven.

A resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said, “The bandits stormed our community about midnight on motorcycles, shooting here and there. They also positioned themselves in strategic places and opened fire on some of the residents who wanted to escape.

“At the end of the attack this morning (Friday), we counted 11 dead bodies and we are currently making arrangements for their burial. The six others who were seriously injured are receiving treatment in a medical facility.”

The spokesman for the Katsina State Police Command, SP Gambo Isah, confirmed the attack, but put the casualty figure at six.

’s true the attack took place and six people were killed but our men are there and are on top of the situation,” he said

Scores abducted in fresh Kaduna bandits attack
The senator who represented Kaduna Central in the 8th National Assembly, Shehu Sani, tweeted about the Zaria attack on Friday.

Sani, in his tweet, said, “Early this (Friday) morning, bandits of stormed Zango area of Samaru, Zaria and kidnapped scores of people.

“Ahmadu Bello University main campus, College of Aviation and Institute of Transport Technology located in the same area must take immediate preventive security steps to secure lives.”

Zangon Shanu is a settlement mostly occupied by ABU lecturers, staff of Nigerian College of Aviation Technology and Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospitsl, Zaria.

A resident of the area told one of our correspondents that the bandits stormed the area around 1.30am.

Meanwhile, identities of those abducted could not be ascertained, but was gathered that four of those kidnapped were members of the same family.

The source said the bandits shot indiscriminately into the air to scare other residents after which they went away with their victims unchallenged.

The Kaduna State Police Command’s spokesman, ASP Muhammed Jalige, could not be reached on his mobile phone to confirm the bandits attack.

was further learnt that the attack on the village was coming barely a month when bandits attacked the National Tuberculosis and Leprosy Training Centre and Nuhu Bamalli Polytechnic, Zaria and abducted scores of people.

Meanwhile, security have been beefed up by Authorities of Nigeria College of Aviation Technology, Nigerian Institute of Transport Technology, as well as the Ahmadu Bello University all in Zaria which are neighbouring of the village.

Source