By Chibuike Nwabuko
Abuja (Sundiata Post) – President Muhammadu Buhari’s COVID-19 broadcast yesterday was silent on the schools’ re-opening.
It is now expected that States will decide on resumption of schools or otherwise.
The Nigeria Governors Forum (NGF) could take a definite position in their awaited reaction to the president’s speech.
Buhari announced lockdown ease effective May 4 and extended the ‘stay at home’ directive till May 3.
Again, only Lagos, Ogun States and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Abuja are affected.
However, the President imposed a ban on interstate movement.
Last week, there was confusion over rumours that learning institutions may reopen soon.
Messages shared on social media platforms didn’t help matters either.
The speculations forced the Lagos State Government to elucidate that all private and public schools remain closed, to protect students from coronavirus.
Folasade Adefisayo, Commissioner for Education, stated that schools have not been opened for the third term of the annual session.
She added that Lagos continues to offer free teachings on various media, especially radio and television.
“Plans are also underway to ensure that our children in public schools are able to complete their term whenever the lockdown is lifted,” Adefisayo said.
A fortnight ago, the Buhari administration said plans were being made for students in tertiary institutions to receive lectures via the Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) and the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN).
Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, explained that the ministry had been planning the idea before the coronavirus outbreak.
Noting that some tertiary institutions were already giving lessons online, Adamu hinted that the ministry was working with its mass media outlets to do the same.