Kuala Lumpur – Malaysian Prime Minister, Razak Najib, on Wednesday expressed outrage over the beheading of a Malaysian hostage in the southern Philippines.
Malaysian Bernard Fen, 39-year-old engineer, was executed on Tuesday by suspected Abu Sayyaf rebels in the southern Philippines where he had been held captive for over six months.
“I, the Government, and all Malaysians are shocked and sickened by the murder of our countryman … and we condemn it in its strongest terms,” he said in a statement.
“We call upon authorities to take action against those who have perpetrated this savage and barbaric act and ensure that they are brought to justice,” Najib said.[pro_ad_display_adzone id=”70560″]
Fen was abducted by suspected Abu Sayyaf rebels alongside Malaysian restaurant owner, Thien Fun, on May 14, from the town of Sandakan.
Brigadier Gen. Alan Arrojado, an anti-terrorism task force commander, said negotiations for Fen’s release bogged down, triggering his killing.
The al-Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf has been blamed for some of the deadliest terrorist attacks in the Philippines as well as high profile kidnappings for ransom involving foreign hostages.
The militants are still believed to be holding captive two Canadians, a Norwegian, a Dutchman and an Italian in the jungles of Jolo. (dpa/NAN)