New Ebola infections continue to drop, Guinea still a concern




Whatsapp News

ABIDJAN  – The three hardest hit by West ’s Ebola epidemic recorded the lowest weekly of new cases so far this year in the week leading up March 22, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday.

The figures are a further indication that the , which has killed more than 10,300 people across Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, is waning. But there are still worrying signs that the is not yet under control in Guinea, the U.N. health agency said in its weekly report.
[pro_ad_display_adzone id=”10″]

Seventy-nine new confirmed cases of Ebola were reported in the three countries during the week. Forty-five of those were in Guinea. And in a minor setback, Liberia reported its first new case in three weeks.

The falling of new cases in Sierra Leone and Liberia as well as a receding zone of transmission mean that treatment capacity now far exceeds demand there, and the WHO is working with local authorities dismantle surplus centres.

Even Guinea, which has seen a rise in new cases in recent weeks, saw some improvement, with instances of new infections declining nationwide. However, the WHO cautioned that authorities had yet pin down and isolate the sources of new cases.

 

You may also like:

Nigeria’s Pate co-chairs panel on global response to Ebola ‎

“The fact that fewer than half of cases arose from known contacts, and the of reported unsafe burials has increased suggests that the in Guinea continues to be driven by unknown chains of transmission,” said.(Reuters)