ABUJA (Sundiata Post) – The Nigerian military has said that it has ambushed the Boko Haram terrorists escaping from the ground and aerial bombardment of Sambisa Forest to a new safe haven in Borno State.
The Director of Army Public Relations (DAPR), Col. Sani Usman, in a statement disclosed that the troops of 81 Battalion and some elements of 251 Task Force Battalion, 25 Brigade, at early hours of yesterday (Sunday), “ambushed suspected Boko Haram terrorists escaping from Sambisa forest to Fulawani village”.
Usman said that the ambushed terrorists were trying to link up with other terrorists or members of their families to relocate to other places.
He recalled that the troops had earlier intercepted a group of women and children on Saturday, who claimed to have escaped from the terrorists enclave in Sambisa forest.
However, he said, during screening and interrogation, it was confirmed that they were the terrorists’ advance party relocating to a new safe haven following intense tactical operations by troops.
According to Army spokesman, the “troops sprang a surprise ambush on the group of escaping terrorists from Sambisa forest crossing towards Alagarno mounted on motorcycles and bicycles, killing five of them and recovering a number items.
“These include five motorcycles, nine bicycles, 80 new pairs of bathroom slippers, assorted laundry items, polythene bags and mats”.
From all indication, Usman said, the terrorists intended to link up with their wives and children earlier mentioned, who were obviously despatched to wait for them close to Fulawani for onward movement to other locations.
“It is also assessed that the recovered items were for sale in other locations where remnants of the terrorists were hiding but in dire need of logistics,” he added.
He said that further investigation also revealed that the terrorists were fleeing Sambisa forest to other areas for safety as they could no longer withstand the continued bombardment by both Nigerian Air Force and the ground troops.