The World Health Organisation has commended the Nigerian and Guinean governments for their efforts in tackling the Ebola scourge.
The other two patients currently under treatment in the isolation wards are stable and are being taken care of.”
The global healthy body, in a statement on Tuesday, attributed the progress made by the two countries to the deployment of various strategies in tracing and monitoring people that came into contact with those infected.
It said , “Though the death toll is rising in some countries, there are some encouraging signs in Nigeria and Guinea. The situation in Lagos, Nigeria, where the first case was detected on July 20, looks reassuring.
“At present, the 12 confirmed cases are all part of a single chain of transmission. Those infected by the initial case include the health workers that were involved in the treatment of the index case, a patient in the same hospital, and a protocol officer, who had very close contact with the patient.
“One of those 12 has made a full recovery which counters the widespread perception that infection with the Ebola virus is invariably a death sentence. Early detection and therapy can help people survive.
“The intensity of the search and monitoring effort raises cautious optimism that further spread of the virus in Nigeria can be stopped. The search for additional cases continues, as does the current high level of vigilance.”
WHO also noted that due to increased awareness and access to treatment in Guinea, the Ebola outbreak was less alarming compared to Liberia and Sierra Leone where more patients came forward for treatment .
It, however, warned that the outbreak was not yet under control and urged affected countries to still be on the alert.
But the organisation insisted that the authorities of the affected countries should carry out exit screenings of travellers at their international airports, seaports and major land borders.
“We are not recommending travel restrictions and active screening of passengers on arrival in countries that do not have borders with the affected countries,” it added.
It said the Ebola virus had killed 84 people in just three days, bringing the global death toll to 1,229.It put confirmed, probable and suspect infections at 2,240.
The body said, “As recent experience shows, progress is fragile, with a real risk that the outbreak could experience another flare-up.
“A case in a previously unaffected area was reported last week, indicating continuing spread to new areas.”
Lagos seals three houses
The Lagos State Governmen on Tuesday said it had sealed three houses on the Lagos Island to prevent Ebola outbreak and maintain a cleaner and sustainable environment.
A statement by the spokesman for the Ministry of the Environment, Mr. Folarin Adeyemi, explained that the houses – numbers 42, 48 and 50 – on Vincent Street, were served abatement notices for “discharging untreated human faeces directly into open drainage channel, leading to offensive odour capable of instigating outbreak of epidemic.”
The statement added, “It was also observed during a monitoring exercise of the last sanitation that all the adjourning drains were completely filthy and silted with solid waste.
“Upon the inability of the occupants to remediate the observed nuisances, the enforcement department of the ministry, led by Dr. A. T. Afolabi, sealed the premises upon the receipt of an order which granted the closure.”
The government urged Lagosians to shun acts that could lead to the spread communicable diseases in the state.