Lagos – The Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC) on Wednesday said that the forthcoming 2016 Rio Olympics would not be jamboree.
NOC’s Secretary-General Tunde Popoola told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos that the Nigerian contingent would only comprise of participating athletes.
“We are going to be strict in the processing of visas and other logistics.
“We are going only with the athletes that are registered for the tournament. There is no room for extra persons in the contingent.
“At the All African Games in Congo Brazzaville, we went with the precise number of athletes and it will be the same for the Olympics,’’ he said.
Popoola added that sports disciplines that had already qualified had been registered officially.
“We are awaiting other sports to get done with their qualifiers so that proper registration will be done for them.
“It is after this that we can know the precise number of sports we are participating in and the number of athletes to take to the Olympics,’’ he said.
The secretary-general said that the nation’s hockey players are good but can’t be solely banked on at the Olympics.
“We can be rest assured that they will do well at any tournament on the African continent where participating countries are mainly Africans.
“We don’t have what it takes yet to conquer at the Olympics so it’s a dicey one,’’ he said. (NAN)