Tragedy struck at Agip Estate area of Obio/Akpor Local Government Area, Rivers State, yesterday following the electrocution of a nursing mother identified as Latifa Seiyi.
The incident reportedly occurred when a high tension wire fell on the roof of the victim’s building.
A source in the area who identified himself simply as Stanley said while the woman rushed to save her four-month-old baby, she stepped on the live cable.
A neighbour to the victim, who spoke in confidence criticised the act of building houses under high tension and called on the government to end the menace.
The source said: “The incident is pathetic. It is something that nobody would want to see happen. The woman just gave birth some four months ago.
“We were at home when the cable fell. I would have also been a victim. The woman was rushing to the room to save her daughter but her legs touched the cable.
“The cable burnt her legs. She struggled to her daughter, but she never knew that the protector had current. It was that one that killed her.
“I want to use this opportunity to discourage the act of building under high tension lines. It is bad.”