Nyanya Park to be relocated, as FCT minister tells relatives to claim corpses of blast victims




Whatsapp News

As a way of solving the perennial traffic gridlock on the Nyanya border area of the Keffi-Nyanya-Abuja express road, the FCT Administration has resolved to build a new motor park at Nyanya within a reasonable distance from the expressway while all buildings, shops and business premises located along the road corridor in the area would be demolished immediately in overriding public interest. FCT Minister, Senator Bala Mohammed announced this on Saturday after an inspection of the scene of Thursday’s bomb in Nyanya satellite town.

The minister further disclosed an integrity test would be carried out on the Nyanya interchange (flyover bridge) to ascertain its current structural strength in the aftermath of the two successive terrorist bomb attacks near the foot of the bridge. He also pleaded with relatives of the bereaved to step forward and claim the corpses of their loved ones in the various morgues in FCT.

He disclosed work would commence at the new motor park within the next one week. He added that a team comprising officials of Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA), the FCT departments of Urban and Regional Planning, Survey and Mapping, Abuja Metropolitan Management Council, the Transportation Secretariat, the Abuja Municipal Area Council, security officials and other relevant professionals has been put in place to facilitate a speedy construction and opening of the new park together with the removal of all encumbrances.

While calling on those lost their dear ones in the bomb blasts to come up and claim their remains, Senator Bala Mohammed stressed all government mortuary facilities in FCT have been overstretched. He said the FCTA was ready to provide logistics supports such as free ambulance services for conveying the remains to any part of the country for burial. He also disclosed that the FCTA has reached agreement with the Police authorities with clearance secured for the of the victims’ corpses.

In order to decongest the general hospitals in the Territory, Senator Bala Mohammed said that FCTA has decided to bear the cost of treating all indigent patients on admission in the FCT hospitals for other ailments beside injuries from the bomb blast.

Secretary of Health and Human Services of FCTA, Dr. Demola Onakomaiya had earlier told the Minister that while many of the corpses from the first were yet to be claimed by relatives for burial, all the 20 corpses in the second blast are equally lying in the various mortuaries. He said the death toll of Thursday’s blast has risen to 20.

While admitting that the swelling population of FCT particularly in areas like Nyanya has remained a big challenge, the Minister said the FCT Administration was doing its best in synergy with the various security agencies to deepen security intelligence in the Nation’s capital. He appealed to the residents to continue to be vigilant and to always volunteer useful security information to the Police and other security agencies.

Those accompanied the minister in the visit include the FCT Minister of State, Oloye Olajumoke Akinjide, the Permanent Secretary, Engr. John Chukwu, the Chief of Staff to the FCT Minister, Alhaji Mohammed Yau Gital, the Commandant of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, FCT Command, Alhaji Abdullahi Kofarsoro, the representative of the FCT Commissioner of Police and many others.