Home News Okobaba community sends SOS to LASG as 4 feared dead in fire...

Okobaba community sends SOS to LASG as 4 feared dead in fire outbreak

81
0

Lagos- The residents of Okobaba area of Lagos State on Monday sent a Save Our Soul (SOS) message to the Lagos State Government following the fire that razed the Okobaba Plank Market in Lagos.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the fire incident occurred in Okobaba in Ebute-Meta area and which was said to have claimed the lives of three young children and an old man.

NAN correspondents who visited the area saw the Sawmill and the houses built with planks there and other valuables destroyed by the fire which was said to have started on Sunday night.

NAN also saw the residents packing what was left of their valuables to a safer place.

The residents who spoke to NAN said the cause of the fire was as a result of a candle light which one of the residents forgot to put out in her room before she headed for the bathroom.

[pro_ad_display_adzone id=”10″]

[pro_ad_display_adzone id=”8″]

The Community Leader, Alhaji Ganiyu Onikeku, who could not confirm the deaths, claimed that the fire was as a result of the government’s negligence of the area.

“We know the government is trying for the masses and this is why we are sending an SOS message to it so that it can come to our aid.

“I hope the government will come to our aid and rebuild this place to avoid recurrence,’’ he said.

Komolafe Muyis, a resident, also attributed the cause of the fire outbreak to epileptic power supply.

“If there had been steady power supply, this fire caused by candle light won’t have happened,’’ he said.

He appealed to the government to find a lasting solution to the problems of the area.

Another resident who lost his property and plank house to the fire said the power supply in the area was terrible.

[pro_ad_display_adzone id=”10″]

[pro_ad_display_adzone id=”8″]

“If there was regular supply of power, such incidents like this won’t have happened,” he said.

While expressing sadness about the development, the 28-year-old man appealed to the government to come to their aid and also develop the power sector.

Mrs Bukoka Adeniyi, a plank trader, told NAN that she had lost everything to the fire, adding that the government should come to their aid.

Meanwhile, efforts to speak with the police at the nearest police station to confirm the deaths arising from the incident proved abortive. (NAN)

Loading...
Previous articleJudiciary staff union urges FG to respect court order
Next articleU-19 cricket camp postponed by two days

Leave a Reply