African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Domestic Linkages Officer
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50066102
- The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management (ECVP) is the Bank’s spokesperson on economic matters and the VP for the ‘Economics Governance and Knowledge Management Complex’.
- The Complex is responsible for:
- Providing leadership and visibility for the Bank on economic, finance, financial governance and socio economic development issues; and coordinate the generation of analytical works to inform operational policy;
- Systematically emphasize the critical role of knowledge, experience, lessons learnt and their tangible impact on sustainable, inclusive transformation of African economies.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The external role of the African Natural Resources Center’s (ECNR) is to support Regional Member Countries (RMCs) improve development outcomes through effective management of natural resources wealth by delivering practical solutions on policy, legislative and investment decisions in the sector.
- Internally, it brings cohesion to the Bank’s strategies in natural resources sectors by providing a single lens through which the institution addresses natural resources governance.
- As part of the African Natural Resources Center’s (ECNR), the Division Policy Analysis is responsible for providing strategic guidance and operational leadership for the Center’s analytics; knowledge management and with a team of experts to support Regional Member Countries and departments of the Bank deepen knowledge of natural resources.
The Principal Domestic Linkages Officer will be responsible for the following main activities:
- Coordinate the provision of advisory services to regional members countries on policies on local content and value addition in renewable and non-renewable resources development projects;
- Assist Regional Member Countries increase the impact of resources development on national economies through domestic linkages and cross border resources development;
- Manage relations with the private sector organizations, departments of the Bank, consultants and institutional partners as relates to domestic linkages;
- Coordinate knowledge building and dissemination initiatives in the area of responsibility.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager Policy analysis, the Principal Domestic Linkages Officer will:
- Lead domestic linkages support programs by working with regional offices to provide technical assistance;
- Support programs to build capacity of Regional Member Countries to design and implement local content policies by designing policy tools and administering program support process;
- Coordinate advocacy and knowledge seminars to inform value addition policies by hosting internal and external events on relevant policy issues;
- Support development of policy tools by conducting benchmark studies and internal domestic market analysis;
- Coordinate the work of consultants advising Regional Member Countries on agreements with investors;
- Coordinate partnerships with departments of the Bank by collaborating with the African Development Institute (ECAD), African Legal Support Facility (ALSF) and Private Sector Development department (OPSD) to design and implement training programs on domestic linkages policies;
- Increase knowledge by working with consultants to develop tools to evaluate policy options for extracting greater value from natural resources projects;
- Keep abreast of global and regional initiatives by networking and undertaking personal development work;
- Grow demand by recommending additional areas of support to Regional Member Countries to the Division Managers;
- Strengthen internal collaboration by being the liaison between the Center and relevant internal stakeholders;
- Raise the Center’s profile by representing the Center on internal and external fora;
- Manage all resources allocated to the function by ensuring adequate financial and human resources.
Including desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Business Management, Industrial Development and Trade Policy;
- Have at least of six (6) years’ work experience in private sector projects and/or industrial and trade policy formulation;
- General knowledge of relevant policy, legal and institutional frameworks is important;
- Private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Strong competency in capacity building program design, implementation and oversight;
- Extensive practical knowledge in coordinating donor support and managing relations thereof;
- Ability to conduct analytical studies and to produce reports;
- Proven ability to negotiate commercial arrangements on behalf of or with governments;
- Ability in designing local content policy frameworks and to work independently;
- Experience in supervision of the work of multiple of consultants
- Operational effectiveness and problem solving capabilities, coupled to innovation skills.
- Excellent spoken and written English or French, with a working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).
Application Closing Date
19th September, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online