By Chibuike Nwabuko
Abuja (Sundiata Post) – Police in Anambra have nabbed over eight suspected cultists and also foiled cult initiations at Abagana forest and recovered arms and ammunition and other incriminating items as operatives raided various hideouts and blackspots where cultists are suspected to be hibernating in various locations within the State.
The Command Special Anti Cult Unit in conjunction with Puff-Adder/Kpochakpu operatives had during the week raided the hideouts In Order to stem the tide of cultism and other nefarious activities in the State.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Anambra State Police Command, SP Haruna Mohammed disclosed this in a statement signed on behalf of the Commissioner of Police Anambra State Command.
According to the statement, the various hideouts and blackspots where cultists are suspected to be hibernating in various locations within the State and the dates the raid were conducted are as follows:
- On the 08/12/19 at Ogidi /Nkpor axis, 15 suspected cultists arrested. On the 09 /12 /19 at Awka /Amansea axis, 10 suspected cultists arrested. 0n the 10/12 /19 at Onitsha /Nkpor axis, 07 suspected cultists arrested. On the 11 /12 /19 at Oba/Nnewi axis , 22 suspected cultists arrested. On the 12/12 /19, at Nsugbe/Nkwelle-ezunaka axis , 10 suspected cultists arrested. On the 13 /12 /19, at Ogbunike/Abagana axis , 18 suspected cultists arrested.
- From all the raids carried out, a total of 82 suspects were arrested out of which 25 suspects were screened out, 15 suspects were charged to court, while 42 suspects are undergoing investigation.
- Meanwhile, exhibits recovered from the suspects who confessed being members of secret cult groups includes seven (07) machetes , three (03)axes, one (01) dagger, one (01) vikings barret, five (05) improvised bunkers for inhaling substances and some quantity of weeds suspected to be cocain /cannabis sativa respectively.
- Consequently, the Command Special Anti cult unit had on the 5/12/19 arrested one Joseph Onyedika ‘ m’ aged 23yrs of okposi in Ohaozara LGA of Eboyi State,(2) Emmanuel Christopher ‘m’ aged 27years of Oraifite in Ekwusigo LGA of Anambra State and (3) ThankGod Sike ‘m’ aged 25 years of Obioma Ngwa in Abia State but residing at Nnewi In Anambra State.
- Suspects were arrested wearing Military camouflaged uniforms under pretence that they are serving military personnel and a Jack knife was also recovered in their possession.
- Meanwhile,preliminary investigation revealed that two of the suspects were fake soldiers while the remaining one is undergoing further investigation at the military cantonment to ascertain his true identity.
- In another development,following intelligence report, Police operatives attached to Special Anti cult unit (SPACS) stormed a forest located within Abagana in Njikoka LGA of Anambra State and arrested four male suspects who confessed that they were to initiate new members into Black axe confraternity before they rounded up by the Police.
- Exhibits recovered from the suspects includes one locally made double barrel Pistol ,one locally made Beretta pistol , five live cartridges,12 expended cartridges,one musical Drum, one big axe, one gallon containing mixed concoction ,charms and other incriminating items.
- All cases are under investigations after which suspects would be charged to court for prosecution .
- The Commissioner of Police CP John B.Abang,fdc reassures the Public of adequate protection before during and after the Christmas/New year celebrations.The CP further made a clarion call on all Ndi Anambra and residents alike to report any suspicious persons or movements to the nearest Police Station or call police emergency number 07039194332 for prompt response, please.