Rooney defends alleged dive

Whatapp News



 

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has fended off allegations suggesting he deliberately went to ground to get Bastian Schweinsteiger sent off in the dying moments of his side’s first-leg Champions League quarterfinal draw with Bayern Munich on Tuesday evening.

The England international was tackled by his German counterpart with two minutes left on the clock, and having already been booked earlier in the game, Schweinsteiger was given his marching orders, meaning he will miss next week’s second-leg in Munich.

Yet Rooney denies diving on purpose to get the German midfielder sent off.

“I thought it was a foul,” the Red Devils forward said. “If I didn’t get out of the way he could have hurt me.

“I didn’t try to get him sent off.

“He’s gone in with his studs and the referee has booked him, so it’s not my decision.”

Schweinsteiger is a key part of Bayern’s industrious midfield, which will also be without the suspended Javi Martinez for the reverse fixture, yet Rooney feels the reigning European champions have more than enough cover on their bench to replace the duo.

“He’s a great player and he’s obviously someone they will miss – and Javi Martinez as well being suspended – but they have a great squad of players who can come in,” he said.

The second-leg is scheduled for Wednesday, 9 April at the Allianz Arena in Munich.(kickoffnigeria)

Loading…