The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), has said that due to periodic “self-reviews,” more members of his cabinet may be made to leave.
This is as he explained that the significant review steps are meant to identify and strengthen weak areas, close gaps, build cohesion and synergy in governance, manage the economy and improve the delivery of public good to Nigerians.
Buhari’s announcement was contained in a statement on Wednesday by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, titled ‘President Buhari approves cabinet reshuffle’.
In a statement to cabinet members during the Federal Executive Council meeting on Wednesday, the President approved a reshuffle in his cabinet which has so far run since August 21, 2019.
He announced that the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Mohammed Nanono; and Minister of Power, Sale Mamman, were leaving the cabinet.
Consequently, the Minister of Environment, Dr. Mohammad Abubakar, was redeployed to assume office as the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, while the Minister of State, Works and Housing, Abubakar Aliyu, will now be the Minister of Power.
The President said the changes were necessary parts of his regime’s “tradition of subjecting our projects and programs implementation to independent and critical self-review” through sector reporting during Cabinet meetings and at retreats.
He explained that “these significant review steps have helped to identify and strengthen weak areas, close gaps, build cohesion and synergy in governance, manage the economy and improve the delivery of public good to Nigerians.
“I wish to reiterate once more, that this process shall be continuous,” he affirmed.
Before the announcement, Buhari said, “Change is the only factor that is constant in every human endeavour and as this administration approaches its critical phase in the second term, I have found it essential to reinvigorate this cabinet in a manner that will deepen its capacity to consolidate legacy achievements.
“Accordingly, a few cabinet changes, marking the beginning of a continuous process, have been approved.”
After announcing the reshuffles, he explained that “In due course, substantive nominations will be made to fill the consequential vacancies in accordance with the requirements of the constitution.”
For the departing ministers, Wednesday’s Federal Executive Council meeting marked their last.
The President, therefore, thanked them for their contributions to discussions in cabinet and the “invaluable services they rendered to the nation.” He wished them the best in all future endeavours.