Home Foreign School suspends classes after 140 pupils infected by norovirus

School suspends classes after 140 pupils infected by norovirus


SHENZHEN – Local authorities on Wednesday announced the suspension of classes in a school in south China’s Guangdong Province after 140 students were infected by norovirus.
Norovirus is a contagious virus that can infect anyone, which can be got from an infected person, contaminated food or water or by touching contaminated surfaces.
It is the most common cause of viral gastroenteritis in humans and affects people of all ages.
Symptoms of the highly-contagious stomach virus include vomiting, diarrhoea, fever and body aches, typically patients recover within several days.[pro_ad_display_adzone id=”8″]
Grade I and II students of Shenzhen Baihe Foreign Language School began showing signs of food poisoning after experiencing stomach aches and vomiting on Monday afternoon.
The local authorities said that by Tuesday morning, 140 students out of the school’s 1,400, showed similar symptoms.[pro_ad_display_adzone id=”10″]
An investigation by the local disease prevention and control centre showed the mass vomiting was caused by norovirus infection. [pro_ad_display_adzone id=”10″]
However, the affected students were taken home by their parents for treatment, while classes were suspended in the affected grades.[pro_ad_display_adzone id=”10″]
The school will strengthen disinfection in public areas and ask staff to wash their hands frequently. (Xinhua/NAN)

Previous articleCouncil to train 45 journalists on 2015 elections’ coverage
Next articleFrance raises anti-terrorism alert after 11 dead, 10 wounded in Paris shooting

Leave a Reply