South Africa seeks to replace Nigeria in U-20 women World Cup




Whatsapp News

South has made a bid to replace Nigeria in the U-20 Women World Cup scheduled to hold from Aug. 5 to Aug. 24 in Canada.
This followed FIFA’s suspension of Nigeria Football Association from the activities of the world football governing body on July 9.

South ’s delegation to FIFA was led by Mr Danny Jordaan, President of the South African Football Association.

FIFA source said the delegation said their team had been on standby so as not to disrupt the programme.

According to them, there is no sentiment in such a situation.

Nigeria was suspended over an alleged interference by government in the running of football in the country.

FIFA claimed that Nigeria violated Article 13 of its statute mandating member associations to manage their affairs independently and with no influence of third parties.

“The most immediate effect is that Nigeria will not be entitled to participate in the upcoming FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup unless the suspension is lifted by July 15.’’ (NAN)