South-East crisis: Buhari hints on war




Whatsapp News

Muhammadu Buhari

ABUJA – Muhammadu Buhari Tuesday drew the battle-line, vowing to visit war those he said are “bent destroying the country through promoting insurrection, and burning down critical national assets.” “A rude shock awaits them, and very soon too,” Buhari, who is believed to be reacting to on security and electoral facilities the country’s lately-troubled South-East, said.

The spoke after he received briefing from Chairman Independent National Electoral Commission (), Prof Mahmood Yakubu, series facilities the electoral body round the country.

“I receive daily security reports the , and it is very clear those behind them want this administration to fail,” President Buhari said. “Insecurity Nigeria is now mentioned all the world. All the who want power, whoever they are, you wonder what they really want. Whoever the destruction of the system soon have the shock of their lives. We’ve given them enough time,” he said a statement by his to the President (Media and Publicity) .

President Buhari recalled he visited all the 36 states of the country before the 2019 election, “and majority of the believed me, and the election proved it.” He promised to continue leading the country accordance Constitutional provisions.

He said those misbehaving in certain parts of the country were obviously too young to know the travails and loss of lives attended the . “Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, treat them in the language they understand. We are going to be very hard sooner later.”

The President said the Service Chiefs and the Inspector General of Police have been changed, “and we demand security from them.”

On the dangers posed to future elections by the burning of facilities, President Buhari said he would give the electoral commission all it needed to operate, “so that no one would say we don’t want to go, or that we want a third term. There will be no excuse for failure. We’ll meet all ’s demands.”

In his briefing, Prof Yakubu said that so far, there have been 42 cases of attacks on offices , since the last General Election.

“The 42 incidents so far occurred in 14 states of the Federation for a variety of reasons….Most of the attacks happened in the last seven months, and they are unrelated to protest against previous elections. From the pattern and frequency of the most recent attacks, they appear to be targeted at future elections. The intention is to incapacitate the Commission, undermine the ’s and precipitate a national ,” Prof Yakubu said. (News Express)