Two arrested in Mississippi after policemen shot dead

Whatsapp News

brothers were arrested Sunday over the killing police officers Mississippi, local media reported, less a week after a York officer died a gunshot wound to the head.

Police officers Benjamin Deen, 34, and Liquori Tate, 25, were shot Saturday and taken to hospital where they were confirmed dead, The Clarion-Ledger newspaper reported, citing Forrest County Coroner Butch Benedict.

Officials did give details on the motive the attack but said the suspects, Curtis Banks, 26, and Marvin Banks, 29, were arrested early Sunday morning, ending an hours-long manhunt, according to the newspaper.

Both were reported to have criminal records, which include drugs and -related charges and felony convictions.

A third woman was allegedly the car at the time the shooting Hattiesburg city was also taken into .

The killings come in the wake of another police shooting in York, where plainclothes officer Brian Moore, 25, was shot in the head and died Monday.

[pro_ad_display_adzone id=”70560″]

A total of five police officers have been killed in the past five months in the States, including other York were shot in December.

Hattiesburg Mayor Johnny DuPree decried the latest killings.

“The and women go out every day to protect us, the and women who go out every day to make sure that we’re safe, they were turned on tonight,” DuPree said, according to The Clarion-Ledger.

The newspaper said that one of the officers pulled a car over Saturday evening, approached the vehicle, and was joined by a second officer before shots were fired.

One of the suspects allegedly fled in a police vehicle, which was later found abandoned.

A neighboring police force in Oxford, Mississippi mourned the slain officers.

“Both Hattiesburg Police Officers have died. Terrible. Prayers to the entire community and families,” the Oxford force said on Twitter.

The Clarion-Ledger said it was the first police killing in Hattiesburg in 30 years.

The come at a time of racial tension and protests over police brutality, most recently in the case of a black youth who died April 19 from injuries suffered while in in Baltimore.