Bangkok – The United States of America and the European Union led a chorus of international voices offering condolences to Thailand after a deadly bombing in Bangkok on Monday night.
The US Government on Tuesday in a statement in Washington condemned the violence, while noting that it remained unclear who was behind the incident.
In the statement, John Kirby, State Department Spokesman, warned US citizens to avoid the area, adding that it was unclear whether any of its citizens were among the casualties.
He reiterated the government’s determination to assist Thai authorities if asked.
The EU also expressed its “sincere condolences” in a statement to Thai Government on Tuesday.
“Our thoughts are with the people of Thailand at this time of shock and grief,’’ the statement said.
Meanwhile, UN Secretary General, Ban Ki-moon, has expressed shock over the explosion.
He expressed the hope that those responsible would be brought to justice and made accountable for their injustice to humanity.
Countries have expressed sympathy to the Thai government while also monitoring the situation to see if their nationals had been injured.
The Malaysian Foreign Ministry said in a statement that it was working through its embassy in Bangkok to determine if any Malaysian was among those affected by the bombing. (dpa/NAN)