The arrest of now-suspended aide to Ogun Governor Dapo Abiodun, Abidemi Rufai, has elicited a flurry of reactions.
He was arrested in the US over alleged $350,000 (about N140 million) unemployment benefits fraud.
The Nation reports Rufai was arrested at the JFK Airport in New York on his way out of the US and appeared before a court on May 15.
He is scheduled for a detention hearing on May 19.
Here are few things to know about him:
- The 42-year-old property merchant is the owner of Ecobet Sport Betting in Nigeria.
- Checks by The Nation revealed Rufai popularly known as “Ruffy” contested for nomination as APC candidate in Ijebu Central Federal Constituency for House of Representatives in the 2019 election.
- He is from Ijebu-Ode and a member of the popular Mayodele Family.
- He was born on November 6, 1978.
- Rufai is a graduate of Lagos State University and holds a Masters Degree in Public Administration from the same university.
- He was appointed in 2019 into Economic Transition Committee and Work Groups by Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun under education, youth and sport category
- He was also appointed by Governor Dapo Abiodun in August 2020 as Senior Special Assistant on special duties before he got suspended.